A collection of random and not so random online learning materials for biology, computation, and bioinformatics
View the Project on GitHub
Collection of online learning material
A collection of random and not so random learning materials for computation/biology/bioinformatics. I did not screen all of the material presented here. Some might/will be inappropriate for what you want to do or learn. Please give me feedback (open a New issue) if some of the material was either useful or not. Send through more material (preferable via a pull request, clone this repo at https://github.com/sschmeier/elearningcollection) if you have any that you think are particular useful and would like to see included here. Also, some web-links that worked at the time of creating this page might not work anymore (open a New issue or sent me a correction via a pull request).
1. General computation/statistics/biology
1.1 Online courses
1.2 University course material
1.3 Other material/tutorials/books/etc.
A recent article in PLoS, “A New Online Computational Biology Curriculum”, by David Searls (PLoS Comput Biol 2014 10(6): e1003662. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003662) provides a comprehensive supplementary with many programs and courses regarding bioinformatics education. Find the document here.
2.1 Online courses
2.2 University course material
- Genomics, Bioinformatics & Medicine - Stanford University, Doug Brutlag
- Computational Molecular Biology - Stanford University, Doug Brutlag
- Introduction to Statistical and Computational Genomics - University of Washington, Borenstein-lab, 2013
- Introduction to Statistical and Computational Genomics - University of Washington, Borenstein-lab, 2014
- Genomic Informatics - University of Washington, Borenstein-lab, 2013
- Genomic Informatics - University of Washington, Borenstein-lab, 2014
- Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops material - Different courses with PDFs and VIDEOs, some examples:
- Bioinformatics and Computational Methods - Material from different courses from the Weill Medical College and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Next-Gen Sequence Analysis Workshop (2013) - Yearly workshop by Titus
- Courses focusing on different aspects of bioinformatics - UC Davis course material of past bioinformatics courses
- EBI train online - Online learning material from past courses at the European Bioinformatics Institute, e.g.
- Computational Biology: Genomes, Networks, Evolution - MIT video lectures
- De Novo Assembly Course - Univ. of Oslo: PDF lectures and examples free on github
- Schmeier Group bioinformatics course @ Massey University
2.3 Other material/tutorials/books/etc.
- NCBI Handbook - Free online book explaining the tools and processes at NCBI
- WikiBooks: Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- A Primer of Genome Science, 3rd ed, Greg Gibson and Spencer Muse
- Bioinformatics: Sequence and Genome Analysis, Second Edition, 2nd ed, David Mount
- Essential Bioinformatics, Jin Xiong
- Biological Sequence Analysis: Probabilistic Models of Proteins and Nucleic Acids, Richard Durbin, S. Eddy, A. Krogh, G. Mitchison
- Bioinformatics: Sequence, Structure and Databanks, Des Higgins and Willie Taylor
- Bioinformatics: The Machine Learning Approach, 2nd ed, Pierre Baldi and Søren Brunak
- An Introduction to Bioinformatics Algorithms, Neil C. Jones and Pavel A. Pevzner
- Algorithms on Strings, Trees and Sequences, Dan Gusfield